UDL Tips for Assessments
This tip sheet from CAST provides ten Universal Design for Learning (UDL) tips that educators can consult for assessments. Based on the UDL framework, the tips include the following:
- Align assessments to learning goals.
- Offer authentic opportunities for assessment.
- Assess engagement as well as content knowledge.
- Include frequent formative assessments.
- Reduce unnecessary barriers to access.
- Support learner variability through flexible assessments.
- Use and share rubrics to clarify expectations.
- Involve learners in assessing their learning progress.
- Reflect on summative assessments for future design.
- Build communities of practice that support reflective design.
The tip sheet also provides a list of additional resources about UDL.